At St Mary’s we use the Sounds-Write programme to teach Phonics and Spelling.
Please click on the image below for SOUNDS – WRITE.
In Reception class we held a well attended Family Learning Phonics session on 4th October 2022 and hold weekly Phonics Parent drop ins every Thursday at 9am.
Year 1 also holds weekly parent phonics drop ins on Tuesdays at 9am. All Year 1 parents are welcome.
The Skills below are taught explicitly
- Phoneme Manipulation (sound swapping)
Children are taught to Decode and Encode by understanding 4 Clear Concepts
- Letters are symbols that represent sounds that they say.
- Sounds can be spelt using 1,2,3 or 4 letters – f, oa, air, eigh.
- The same sound can be spelt in different ways – bone, coat, toe, window, shoulder.
- The same spelling can represent different sounds – bread, eat, great.
All adults in school use the same consistent, concise language about sounds and spelling when teaching.
We use Phrases such as
- In this word…
- If this was…. this would be a…
- This can spell …. What else can it spell?
- Say the sounds and read the word.
Please click here for Year 1 Phonics Screener Information.
Sounds Write™ Parent Guide
Please watch this video to find our more about the Sounds Write Phonics Programme we use.